Weed is Universal
The cost of weed per gram here in South Africa differs largely in correlation to the quality you look for. Obviously, this will differ across the world, with some places being slightly pricier than others. Here you’ll be looking around R150 – R200 for a decent gram of indoor, while you can get 10 grams of greenhouse/outdoor for the same price. The jump in quality is massive though, and this price for indoor has become a black market standard.
When it comes to travelling abroad though, most tokers will wonder whether they can grab some supply on their ventures – and what will they have to budget? Thankfully Seedo, a grow solutions company, did the groundwork and put together a Cannabis Price Index in 2018, telling us the cost of weed around the world.
Using all resources available to them, they gathered information from 120 countries, ranging across those where cannabis is very much illegal, places where it’s partially accepted and those with a legal cannabis industry. They even put together information comparing the taxes on cannabis in legal cities compared to the taxes placed on cigarettes.
The marketing officer of Seedo, Uri Zeevi, noted that by removing the criminality associated with cannabis, it allowed space for a controlled legal market. This takes power away from criminals and gangs, as well as generates massive revenue through fair taxes. These taxes are great contributors to the development of both first and third world countries, the latter in grave need of socio-economic changes can benefit the most from these taxes.
Keep in mind that the cost of weed is constantly changing, but the findings of the studies above are interesting nonetheless. It also provides valuable info for knowledge sake and may come in handy if you need to budget for traveling. So take these prices with a pinch of salt – we all know dealers can change up their prices if they feel like it and quality can vary.
The studies main findings:
- New York consumes the most cannabis with 77.4 metric tons of cannabis per year.
- Tokyo has the most expensive cannabis, with a gram costing roughly R460 on average! This is the kind of price you’d pay for a gram of some average dab/concentrate.
- The cheapest bud comes from areas in Ecuador and Colombia, with grams costing R20 and R32 respectively.
Top 10 Most Expensive Cities:
- Tokyo, Japan – R465.35 per gram average
- Seoul, South Korea – R462.22 per gram average
- Kyoto, Japan – R422.47 per gram average
- Hong Kong, China – R391.55 per gram average
- Bangkok, Thailand – R353.50 per gram average
- Dublin , Ireland – R308 per gram average
- Tallinn, Estonia – R298.93 per gram average
- Shanghai, China – R296.65 per gram average
- Beijing, China – R292.38 per gram average
- Oslo, Norway – R272.71 per gram average
Top 10 Cheapest Cities:
- Quito, Ecuador – R19.09 gram average
- Bogota, Colombia – R31.35 gram average
- Asuncion, Paraguay – R31.63 gram average
- Jakarta, Indonesia – R54.00 gram average
- Panama City, Panama – R54.86 gram average
- Johannesburg, South Africa – R57.14 gram average
- Montevideo, Uruguay – R59.13 gram average
- Astana, Kazakhstan – R60.13 gram average
- Antwerp, Belgium – R61.13 gram average
- New Delhi, India – R62.41 gram average
These are some eye opening statistics, the cost of weed can be surprising! Make sure to have a look at the map of all 120 countries included in this study. Let us know in the comments below which city you would go to first to taste and explore their Mary Jane, and which country surprised you the most.